March 10, 2008

Strange observations

Disclaimer: Anything I have said or will say in this blog is merely my initial perception and observation of Korean culture and customs during my time here. Although I may pass judgment, my thoughts should not be in any way mistaken as an intent to define Koreans and their culture as inferior or lacking to mine but rather a perception of differences and a moment of cultural shock and ignorance. I don't want anything I write about to reflect any sort of negativity towards this country and its people and customs.

That being said! Differences I've noticed so far:

- Koreans are nutty drivers! There seems to be no sort of traffic control of any kind so Koreans are driving and weaving in and out like it's nothing. I worry for my safety all the time! No one follows traffic signs or lights and just go kind of when they feel like it. I have decided that I will never drive while I'm here.


- Heated floors

- Food to be thrown away must be kept in separate bins. Instead of wasting this food, they actually use leftovers to feed farm animals

- One must take off their shoes upon entering all homes and most buildings. Sometimes there are extra slippers supplied. Basically, it was a waste of space bringing so many dress shoes for work because I just wear slippers the whole day anyway! This is where we store all of our shoes:


- There are no dryers! Everything is hang dried. I need an iron.

- Western toilets are not that common. I'm getting used to using the toilets in the ground kind. The first time I had to #2 in one of those was horrible. It was at a karaoke place and of course when I was done there was no toilet paper (usually have to be taken into the stall beforehand) and I had to ask a teacher waiting after me to hand me some. Not cool.


- Many public bathrooms in restaurants/bars/norae bangs are unisex. Meaning, you walk into a large bathroom area and there is one stall for men/women and 1 or 2 urinals. And men and women alike just all use it at the same time.

- The country does not put toilet paper in the toilets. I think it's gross, so sometimes I do. In my apartment, I always do. Whoops.

- Restaurants and bars have little call buttons on the tables to notify waiters/waitresses that you need service.

- There is no tipping here. It's actually looked down upon and not expected.

- You can hire "dancing girls" into your karaoke rooms. Men have too much fun with that.

- Korean age begins at conception and ties in with the Chinese New Year. So most Koreans say they are older than what they would be back home. i.e. I am 23 years old but in Korean age I am 25.

- Students' textbooks are so fun! They are bright and colorful with cute and fun cartoon drawings. I think I would've paid a whole lot more attention in school if mine looked like these.

- My bathroom is also my shower


- Names are pronounced last, first. Thus, Koreans would actually call me Kue Amy all the time.

- Students clean the schools! There aren't school janitors that clean every day. Every once in a while someone will come in a collect garbage, so you'll have garbage sitting for days. Students are found sweeping, mopping, dusting...everything! Child labor laws? What child labor laws?

- In addition to the above, corporal punishment is still practiced here. I am lucky enough to not have witnessed it (yet)...

- Back home when you are sick, it is ideal to stay away from spicy foods. Here, Koreans believe that spicy foods HELPS with a cold/cough/sore throat. If so, it's a good thing because almost all Korean food is spicy!

- The schools are FREEZING in the hallways of the school because doors are left open and there is no heating. Each room has its own heat, though. But the second you step out of the room you need to bundle up.

There will be more to add to the list, I am sure.

1 comment:

shamrock said...

I'm going to save up all my toilet paper, so when you get back to the states I can give it to you and you can feel like you're still in Korea. You can thank me later.