The moment I walk in my door, ironically "Seasons of Love" from Rent randomly plays on my Ipod and I suddenly realize what a douchebag I'm being and how lucky I am to be here right now. How so many people are envious of my experiences to come and would gladly give it all away to be where I am right now. I am living it for these people and here I am pitying myself plenty. So I run out the door on a quest to feel the life of the city and to bring me back to reality.
Never before have I been so right. I live downtown where it is full of shops, markets, cars, and people walking to and from. And behind one busy street through a lonely alley I found this:
Intrigued by a random large rock in the middle of the city, I explored further and found myself atop a mountain that oversees a lot of Yeongju. I live on the 4th floor in my building, so I don't have much of a view. I found this little mountainous park and have decided it is going to be my new haven. I know it isn't the most spectacular thing in the world and I've definitely seen better, but it was there when I needed it most...and as cheesy as this sounds,
it spoke to me.Remember that scene in "The Shawshank Redemption" when Andy played the Italian opera music over the loud speaker? He said, "there are places in this world that aren't made out of stone...that there's something inside that they can't get to, that they can't touch. That's yours." Okay maybe not that dramatic but that's how places like this make me feel amidst the pressures of daily life. I stood over the city atop [what I learned is] Guseong Park and stared at my life for the next year and couldn't have been happier. I'm glad to have found a place I can just go to when I need a break from all of the stress, especially in the city, even if it's a small one.
I took this as a sign, because my mom always calls me Slowpoke:

It was tonight that I truly realized why I chose to come here. And I know this won't really make sense to anyone, but it made total sense to me.



Plus now I can just climb this mountain everyday and save the money I'd be spending with a gym membership (there's a row of treadmills across the street staring me down every time I look out my window).
Also, I was so pleased I stopped at a 7-Eleven and bought myself some good ole fashioned Wisconsin beer. It even came with a little gift!


/Signing off


3 comments:
Girl, you should totally start your own little kick ball league... at 5pm on Wednesdays. There has to be other people in your city who would LOVE to play kickball with you!!
Jill :)
haha if only all beer bottles came that way :D
so wats the drinking age there?!
I don't know if there is one?? either way, it's not 21 because no one IDs here.
Post a Comment