September 26, 2008

Creativity knows no boundaries

One of my favorite parts about my job teaching here in Korea is how creative the students are when communicating with me in English. Whether it's by pointing at things, making gestures, drawing pictures, or role playing, it's always a riot and they leave me glowing with pure joy! And I am always highly impressed with how well they DO communicate, considering these are 4th-6th graders with minimal English skills.

One time a few 4th graders attempted (and successfully, for the most part) to translate an entire comic book of short comedic stories for me. One student told me about how her friend's parents own a chicken restaurant by saying, "Hello [on the phone], chicken please? Okay, thank you!"

Many students like to tell me about their "crazy frog eye" teachers with devil horns. Today I found out a 4th and 6th grader are sisters.

Younger sister: My sister crazy girl! She has big head [conceited]! 30 minutes bathroom play hair. 'I so beautiful. I princess. I so cute.'
Older sister: Noooo teacher [while fixing her hair]! My sister eat rice many many! [gestures a giant bowl of rice]. 'Mmm rice 3 times please.' She big pig!
Me: No! Sisters need to have LOVE [heart sign].
Older sister: No! *points at sister and makes a huge 'X' in the air and fixes hair*
Younger sister: You shallup! [shut up]

Those are just small examples. There's always something hilarious some kid tries to say in Konglish (Korean + English mix) everyday. It's quite flattering that the kids try hard to talk to you when they have such a basic grasp of English. It shows just how much they really want to learn (and how much they love and adore me <3 ) and how creative they can be. Plus it's a great way to practice. And it always makes my job so much more rewarding.

The kids here rock. Well, at least my kids do.

No comments: