February 22, 2008

Holy cow I am really here

So I arrived last night to WARM weather (okay, anything relative to Wisconsin weather is warm so HA!). Korean Air is a very nice airline--great selection of movies/shows (I got to watch all the best goals of the Barclays Premier League from the 06-07 season) and pretty decent food. It was great when the flight attendants kept talking to me in Korean. This is going to take some getting used to.

So after a LONG 14 hour flight, we had to take a shuttle bus ANOTHER 2.5 hours to Daejeon. We were immediately provided a Korean dinner where we sat on the floor. Unfortunately, I have very poor circulation so my foot fell asleep within 2 minutes. I need to work on this. Darn blood system. We had lots of kimchi (YUM) and beef soup. The city lights up quite a bit--a bit Vegas-like. We also passed by the Daejeon World Cup stadium (WOO!).

Then we basically crashed as soon as we reached the hotel. Today we walked a bit around. Very different here. I will be here for the next week for orientation. So I've basically only met other foreigners.

Otherwise, I'm not used to being part of the "majority." It's kind of like being at a Hmong tournament 24/7, only I can't understand the people at all versus can't understand most of them.

I miss everyone! But hey, I'm in South Korea DUDE! I'm so excited that I get to add South Korea on my "Where Have I Been/Lived?" map!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that your okay and enjoying yourself. It sounds like a great opportunity, I am both envious and sad. Envious that you are experiencing these new settings and opportunities, then sad that your gone. I wish you the best and keep me and the rest of Wisconsin posted on what happens over there. I care to read about your adventures.
Okay it's me Gilbert, in case you couldn't tell already.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear from you today! Mom was driving me insane! You should have seen her, she was definitely not herself. She said, she really tried to keep her cool because she didn't want you to worry...awww wasn't that nice. Anyways, any "hot guys" as nana would say?

Anonymous said...

Haha, I'm going to enjoy reading your blogs, I can tell already... Post some pics soon!

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you're in the land of K-dramas!! :) Hope you have fun and I look forward to reading about your adventures.

Anonymous said...

Soccer? Bah! Spring training for the great sports ever...baseball just started! They play baseball in Korea too you know!