February 29, 2008

The real culture shock

Alright, this is going to be a long one, seeing how I still don't have internet in my apartment and things have been moving quite fast in the last few days.

SO orientation ended on Friday, and everyone had to say their goodbyes. I was really excited to finally be out of the hotel room, until I realized just how lonely I'm going to be living in my own little apartment. I am living in the province of Gyeongsangbuk on the eastern part of South Korea. My group rode a bus into Daegu, a large city within the province (3rd largest in the country) where our coteachers picked up us. Mine is a very nice older lady named Chun Hee. She is sweet and helpful and very motherly and hospitable...but she barely speaks English. So trying to explain my needs has been VERY difficult, but I am trying so hard to be patient because I know she is trying her best and has been nothing but good to me so far.

Anyway, I was previously told I was going to be teaching in Bonghwa, a very very small rural town of about 40,000 people up in the northern most part of Gyeongbuk. I was a little thrown off at first, but I was really excited to be living out in the countryside...until! my coteacher informed me that I'm actually going to be living in the nearby city, Yeongju. It's a miniature version of the larger urban cities with surrounding rural areas and is about 20 min from Bonghwa. She said that she heard that "foreigners like to live in the city" so they decided to place me dead center on the main busy and loud street of Yeongju. Although the accessibility to stores and such is nice, I was a little upset because I was really looking forward to a quiet, peaceful environment and now I'm right back in the city. I asked if they had opening places in Bonghwa but apparently it's full.

My apartment (or shoebox, I should say) is fairly new, but was unfurnished. So I had to sleep at Chun Hee's apartment for the first night. I slept on the floor (the traditional Korean way) and because they have heated floors, I nearly died of heat overnight. Not to mention I am terribly sick with a cough and stuffy nose. Saturday we went out and bought all my necessary furniture (paid for by the school) and it was delivered within an hour. So now my place is furnished and I'm all unpacked! I got some really nice furniture with a lot of space. I did not realize just how much stuff I ended up bringing with me!

Here's the best part of my trip: right before going to bed, I went to close my bathroom door...and after I did, I found out it was locked! So I am not able to get into my bathroom. So this morning when I woke up I had no choice but to (DISGUST ALERT!) pee in my kitchen sink. It's okay to be grossed out. Here's the best part: the kitchen has a giant open window with no curtain, facing many many buildings, thus exposing quite a bit to half of the city. But when you've gotta go, you gotta go. So I did.

THE REAL CULTURE SHOCK. My coteacher and I've walked around a bit and had some really good local food. It is weird being out and about without the company of other foreigners. It makes me feel really insecure, yet I can see that it'll be one hell of a challenge, and I'm kind of excited for it. I know it'll be hard because everyone here assumes I am Korean too. And hardly anyone here speaks English. I just start telling people my parents are from Laos because trying to explain what Hmong is to non-English speaking Koreans is beyond their comprehension and way too much of a headache.

Saturday was Korea's Independence Day from Japan so everyone had been out celebrating. My coteacher took me to her church where her church friends were all engaging in some pretty exciting rounds of Yunori, a game where you throw 4 sticks and whatever side they land on determines how many steps you move on a different board. It's kind of like Trouble/Sorry, only not as colorful or ruthless. But it was great how open and kind everyone was to me. The people I've met so far are very kind.

About the people: high school kids dress very funky and trendy. They've all got their Chucks on, tight pants, and colorful entourage of shirts and sport jackets. Then the women are all wearing heels and fancy clothes, no matter what the weather is! I'm okay walking around with my North Face zip up and crocs. Also, one of my BIGGEST pet peeves (and for no explanable reason) is people who chew with their mouths open and/or chew loudly. And this is what the Koreans do. Maybe if I join in it won't bother me so much.

OH, the food is A M A Z I N G. I was told this before I came but even so, I think it's better than everyone made it sound. Mmmmm. And I now love kimchi and seaweed more than I ever have in my life (this takes me back to 4th grade when our Japanese visitor brought us dry seaweed to eat, and I screamed "EWW" out-loud and was reprimanded for it). So many types of soup, I is so happy!

Okay, I think this about wraps it up for now. My nose is dripping badly and I need to go back to bed. First day of work tomorrow!

Peace, love, and Kimchi. (pictures soon once I get internet)

2 comments:

shamrock said...

I'm so jealous of you. Except for the peeing in the sink part. Although it seems like I have a knack for getting up to pee at night just as my roommate is going into the shower. Maybe I'll try the kitchen sink thing. If he notices I'll just shout "It's Korean!" and call him a racist. I should probably do the dishes first though, right...?

P.S. Blogger makes me type this goddamn word verification about a thousand times. Don't they know I'm one of them too?

Anonymous said...

Wow...that's alot of adjusting to. I'm glad you are safe and settled. You'll have to take pics of your shoebox. I told Savannah you lived in a shoebox and she said "she can't...she's too big. She's gonna get squashed." hehehe