June 19, 2008

Taekwondo

As of today, I've lost a total of 18 lbs since my arrival to Korea. This is due to a combination of good healthy food, a lot of walking, and a lot of Taekwondo.

Today my Taekwondo master worked my ass off sparring with the black belt free fighting boys. They're good.

Things I've noticed since I started:

1) I am so not flexible
2) I am so out of shape
3) I have no stamina
4) I sweat an ocean every night at practice
5) I like the young folk I do Taekwondo with
6) I think I half broke my left foot
7) I'm quite good...for a girl
8) I have a strong right leg, but similar to my soccer skills, my left sucks
9) I have learned a lot of Korean just hanging out with Koreans at the Taekwondo gym
10) As a result, I've been more motivated to learn Korean
11) Joining the gym is like being part of a little Korean family and I feel so loved!
12) Sparring with the boys hurts my boobs because they are right at kicking height and that's where they do all their kicking
13) I am so out of shape

My master informed me yesterday that I need to practice hard so that I can get my black belt in September at the next promotion test. SEPTEMBER. It usually takes years to become a black belt in the States. I also am sad there will be no board breaking. Belts don't mean shit here, anyway.

I also think that a part of the reason why my master pushes me so hard is to make me lose a lot of weight, because well, I need to.

Taekwondo rocks. That is all. I said good day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds so cool. i wish i could learn tae kwon doe. how long have you been doing it?

Anonymous said...

congrats to you! :)